Elementary Schoolers are engaged from day one to build a foundation that fosters an appreciation for education and life-long learning.
In our Elementary School classrooms at SHPA, you will see Classical education and liberal arts implemented in the following ways.
- The Core Knowledge Scope and Sequence provides a factual foundation for each subject in a content-rich, sequential, systematic, and cumulative curriculum;
- Study of classic literature and original texts leads to Socratic discussion;
- Teacher-directed learning supports the foundational, or grammar, stage of Classical education;
- A language-intensive curriculum;
- An integrated curriculum across subject areas using History as the unifier linking all subjects together;
- Writing is featured prominently across all subject areas;
- We memorize quality prose, literature, facts, dates, people, and geographic locations;
- Art and music theory is taught as well as art and music appreciation and performance;
- Physical Education is central to the curriculum;
- Latin is taught in all grades;
- Students make oral presentations to develop skills in rhetoric.
Additionally, we adhere to the Minnesota Depart of Education’s Local Literacy Plan “Reading Well By Third Grade ”, which helps ensure reading proficiency by the end of third grade in accordance with Minnesota State Statute 120.B.12. The plan focuses on the Elementary School, specifically grades K-3. Please download the full plan below for further information.